The first producer of Parmigiano Reggiano that conforms to kashrut
The Bertinelli farm (www.bertinelli.it), located in the hills that surround the city of Parma, is the first in the world to produce a PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) Parmigiano Reggiano that conforms to kashrut, the Jewish law on food based on the interpretation of the Torah.
The Bertinelli PDO Parmigiano Reggiano is the only one to have a double kosher certification, granted by OU The Orthodox Union and OK Kosher Certification. All the phases of the production process, starting from the breeding of the cows to the ageing of the cheese in the dairy farm, take place under the supervision of "controllers" of the Jewish community. Moreover, all the plants and technical structures have been sanitized to match the kashrut.
Now in the maturing phase, the Bertinelli Kosher Parmigiano Reggiano will be available on the market from October 2015.
• company manufacturer: Bertinelli farm
• current output and forecast: about 5,000 Kosher PDO Parmigiano Reggiano a year. All production will conform to kashrut.
• private label producer: no
• ECR Category of membership: cheese (aged)
• Name of the product / product line: Kosher PDO Parmigiano Reggiano
• Geographic Area of production: hills of Parma
• Membership area of typicality: to be regulated, PDO Parmigiano Reggiano can be produced, in Emilia Romagna, in the provinces of Parma, Reggio Emilia, Bologna (just on the west coast of the River Reno), and Modena, in Lombardy, in the province of Mantova (just on the south coast of the river Po)
• Any certification of origin, class or category of label (PDO, PGI, DOC, DOCG, ...): PDO Protected designation of Origin
• Product variants: the Bertinelli Kosher PDO Parmigiano Reggiano will be available in various stages of maturity: 12, 24, 30 and 36 months.
• Shelf life: 180 days for vacuum packaged product
• Pack Formats: whole cheese (about 40 kg), cloves and tips, with weights ranging from 300 g to about 1 kg
• Type of packaging primary / secondary / tertiary: whole cheese / vacuum / ATM
• Countries where it is exported: US, Israel and France, all countries where there is a strong presence of the Jewish community. Another important market is Russia
Kosher: dual certification granted by OU - The Orthodox Union (certification is being ratified, will be made official in April) and by OK Kosher Certification. Both located in New York, between Brooklyn and Broadway, OU and OK are considered the most authoritative Kosher certification bodies in the world by Americans and Israelis. This is an important aspect because more than 80% of people of Jewish faith live in the US and in Israel
• if so, which certifications have already been obtained / which are being processed
Fairtrade or similar:
Other international certifications (in possession, ongoing): eg FDA, ...
• Company manufacturer: Bertinelli farm (www.bertinelli.it)
• Current output and forecast: 5000 PDO Parmigiano Reggiano
• Does it produce Private label: no
Nicola Bertinelli, CEO: firstname.lastname@example.org;
Cristina Ravanetti, Commercial Office: email@example.com